February 13, 2009

V Day



I'm off to the beach for a sexless Valentine's Day. I can't have any fun for 2 weeks. I really couldn't have picked a worse time. My fiance's birthday was Tuesday and Saturday is that stupid overrated love holiday.

Frankly, I think it should be call V Day and I think it should be a day to raise awareness about the mysterious snatch.

Every year at my college the women's group performed the Vagina Monologues on Valentine's Day weekend. My senior year I got on board and performed My Short Skirt in the production. It was a lot of fun.

So on Saturday, instead of whispering sweet nothings into your honey's ear. Take a moment to talk to someone you know about your muff and, more importantly, your pelvic pain. It's time to give V Day a whole new meaning.

I hate the word and I never used it in my blog, but let's shout it out. Vagina!

Here's an excerpt from the Introduction to Eve Ensler's Vagina Monologues:

Woman 1:
I bet you're worried.

Woman 2:
We were worried.

Woman 3:
We were worried about vaginas.

Woman 1:
We were worried about what we think about vaginas, and even more worried that we don't think about them. We were worried about our own vaginas. They needed a context of other vaginas- a community, a culture of vaginas. There's so much darkness and secrecy surrounding them - like the Bermuda triangle. Nobody every reports back from there.

Happy V Day, Ladies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See you got the right idea, I really like this idea - recognizing Valentine's day as a day not just about, romance but also about acknowledging vaginas & vulvas. I can really get on board with the V-Day Project.

It bothers me more than just a little when I hear people putting it down. "Oh blah blah blah it's about vaginas there's more important things to talk about haha it can't talk that's so obscene."

I don't think they "Get it," you know what I'm sayin'? It's not just about the vulvas either, it's about a something greater than ourselves, since it encompasses ending violence against women, too. How is that a bad thing? I mean it's like the perfect alternative and supplement to Valentine's Day!

Lora said...

I actually did have a vagina talk yesterday. And the day before. And talked about how I'm so tired of being tightlipped (ha!!) about all this. I'm thinking of coming out of the vagina closet a bit more.

I am completely inspired by your post awhile back about coming out and sharing your name and all that stuff.

Maybe I'll even put my vagiary on my blogger profile.