May 7, 2008

Vulvodynia with a Side of Teeth



Before I had any proper diagnosis, before I ever heard the word, "vulvodynia," I said my vagina was ANGRY.  It became a separate entity from myself.  It was a hateful, torturous creature that caused me debilitating pain.  

I always felt like my vagina was a monster, hideous and cruel.  I was continually victimized by it's wrath.  My therapist, at the time, told me I talked about my vagina like it was a thing in other room and not a part of my own body.  

After months of anticipation, I saw a movie that embraces the monster that lurks between our thighs.  Teeth is the story of a girl who discovers that her vagina can serve as a weapon.  She has been blessed with a legendary vagina dentata, toothed vagina.  The protagonist is transformed from a woman ashamed of her body to one who is empowered.  

Teeth is an over-the-top horror/comedy that is not for the faint of heart.  There's a decent amount of gore.  I'm sure you can imagine who/what falls victim to her special fangs...