November 7, 2008

Traveling with PN & Vulvodynia

I'm sorry I haven't posted to the blog in a while. My life has been pretty hectic. I had a major exam two weeks ago and last weekend I visited Boston.

It was my first time in Bean Town and I absolutely loved it, but the travel was hard on my moose knuckle.

First of all we flew Air Tran and the seat was so hard, it felt like I was sitting on a wooden chair. I balled up my winter coat and sat on it, but that didn't make much of a difference. I contorted myself into a position where I wasn't putting pressure on anything sensitive and fell asleep.

From the airport we took a bus and then a train to a friends house. The public transportation in Boston is fabulous. It's convenient to get anywhere without ever getting into a car.

That would be great for anyone, unless you can't sit on hard surfaces. In hindsight, I should have brought my cushion. Although it never even occurred to me. Honestly, I think I would have been too embarrassed to lug it around.

I was there with my boyfriend and some of his closest and oldest friends. I didn't want them to think, "oh look, there's Nick's clippled girlfriend. What's wrong with her? Why is she carrying a cushion?"

Sometimes you want to keep your private business private. I don't like raising the eyebrows of his friends and family. I don't want to give them any reason to think that he shouldn't be with me. I hate being judged and condemned for something I can't help, especially because its something that doesn't impair my ability to be a strong and loving partner.

Don't get me wrong, it's human nature to judge and be concerned for the well-being of someone you love. But in my case, it's so difficult to explain. People may be curious, but as soon as you start using terms like "chronic pain" and "vagina," they want to run.

I'm still flared from my trip, but I'm managing. I had such a wonderful time. It was definitely worth the discomfort. But in December I'm flying Air Tran again and I'll definitely be bringing my cushion.

1 comment:

Jamie B said...

I went through the phase of being embarrassed to bring my cushion with me, but I am much happier now that I have accepted that I need it and I bring it with me anytime I'm somewhere where I may need to sit. When people ask I say "it makes it more comfortable for me to sit, I have a nerve problem." If they want to know more i can explain pudendal neuralgia a bit, but i wait for them to ask. I've been bringing it with me everyhwere for about 8 months now.