September 21, 2007

The Loss of Innocence and the Start of Pain

The first time I had sex I was a freshman in college. I was uncomfortable and poorly prepared. The condom, chosen at random from a bowl in the Resident Assistant’s dorm room, was colored and flavored. Tropical banana or wild cherry. It didn’t make a difference to me. I had no idea what I was doing.

I felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside at the moment of penetration. The intensity of the pain startled me, but shortly after it began, it passed. Very soon after that, the sex was over. It lasted maybe a grand total of 30 seconds, although that’s probably too generous.

As I lay on my back wondering what ‘the big deal’ was about sex, the burning started. I felt like someone had put out a match on the skin inside of me and there was nothing I could do to stop the pain.
I told myself that this must be the way all women feel after their first time.

I was wrong.

No comments: